Before suggesting to you what you should include and what not in your essay to make it look good, let me tell you one thing that no one is born knowing how to write an essay. Constructing your first academic writing can be a challenging part for you. But always keep in mind that every challenge has an opportunity within itself. As a writer, you must have the question about dos and don’ts of academic writing. It is a good question to ask but does not hold a simple answer. While writing an essay, it is important for you to present your points in a concise and clear way and try to find the right tone while writing. It is essential for you to understand the dos and don’ts so that it will be easy for you to achieve a strong academic tone in your essay.
What to Do?
- Use a formal language.
- Use the full form of the verb, such as is not, cannot, do not.
- Write the numbers from one to nine in words and from 10 and above in numbers.
- Convert the questions into a statement.
- Check spelling, grammar, and punctuation marks. Proofread the document before sharing it.
- Provide reference wherever you write someone else works both in text and in the reference list.
- Be objective, clear, and concise.
- Use complete sentences and form logical paragraphs.
- Connect one paragraph with the other.
- Every new idea should be written in a new paragraph and give it a topic.
- Leave the conversational phrases. Use suitable connectors and introductory expressions.
What Not To Do?
- Do not use sexist language, jargon, slang, or colloquialisms.
- Do not use the shortened form of the verb.
- Do not write a common vocabulary.
- Do not unsystematic ally mix the numbers and words.
- Do not ask direct questions in the running text.
- Make sure you do not rely on the grammar check tools or software on your computer. Read the complete document and identify the mistakes.
- Do not copy another person’s work.
- Avoid repetition of words and phrases.
- In academic writing, do not frequently give your opinions, rather try to write facts and figures.
- Do not use conversational vocabulary such as you see, well, let’s do that.
- Do not write sentences in first form and phrases such as I think or you believe.
- Avoid invoking the reader and making generalisations.
Many students find difficulty in identifying the correct tone in their writing. However, there are no reason to fear it. The above suggestions will help to easily write your academic essay and acquire good marks in your academic career. Before you start writing your essay, follow these simple dos and don’ts, and remember them throughout your writing.