Whether you are going for admission to a university or applying for a job, you cannot go ahead without a resume. Attributable to the growing competition in higher education and employment, it is essential for you to create a resume that is relevant, crisp, and well-formatted to suit the specific application. You also need to work on the relevant content, formatting, style, presentation, order, and placement of facts. If you have a draft for your resume, then you need to follow the checklist to give your resume the competitive edge. The following is the short checklist to help you review your resume by yourself.
What should be Included and Excluded in a Resume?
Brief of a Resume Template
You need to cover the purpose of resume writing in 2-3 sentences, followed by how to use this blog and templates to write one’s own resume. Also, remember these points.
- Depict particular skills required for the job applying for.
- Show efficiency in carrying out the activity that forms the major role as part of the job.
- Depict results achieved as part of capability.
The following section highlights what to include in a resume
Always add updated contact details and photo and specify an alternate email id or phone number to avoid any kind of lost prospects. Remember not to add any unwanted data other than the ones stated below:
- Name of Candidate
- Highest degree with specialisation and a clear area of work or role
- Contact Address, phone number and email id
- Recent Photograph
- Marital status and Gender
The photo you add should be a head shot without sunglasses or a cap. Add proper and updated email id, address as well phone numbers. Do not limit it to just your first name and add your full name. Along with it, add the highest degree you hold just below your name. Also, this helps the employer to locate the candidate and check the social profiles to have a better understanding of the personality of the applying candidate.
This section is the most important one in the whole resume. It acts as a ticket to the job directly or may even lead your resume to get rejected, if not appropriate. While writing the objectives, try using a customized resume objective portraying a mix of skills and abilities against achievements. Use keywords from the job posting against which you are updating your resume objective. Also, include your present career status and where you see yourself down the line. Also, stress on what attributes in you the company can rely on for their progress.
- Start with your latest work experience by adding a little about role details.
- Use a bulleted list depicting about all responsibilities, which can show that you are an appropriate candidate for the new position.
- Try to depict that in some form or other you have taken up the responsibilities and your efforts have been appreciated by all, that you ought to take up for the new position.
- Name of Degrees for each qualification
- Name and location of School
- Year of Passing
- The majors and subjects of specialization
- Try connecting your achievements and awards to the role you are applying for, and remember to use proper presentation and tone.
- Do not feel shy and too generous in stating your achievements. One of the good ways to portray your exceptional performance is by stating the appreciations you have received for your work.
Optional Things to be included in a resume
- If allowed, use a cover page
- Write about activities of interest and personal interests that may have an indirect link to the job applying for. In case if you are applying for a role that needs you to be active and you depict a sport of your interest and depict achievement in that that needs you to be active, it would be of help.
- Add a photo. Don’t add any fancy photo. Let it be recent as well as formal. Include it on top of your resume, where you add your personal contact details.
- Add references. Do not include the name of your existing boss as the references would be contacted probably on an immediate basis.
If you only know about the sections and their content, then it is not necessary that it will guarantee you success in creating a highly effective resume. You need to be clear about what to include and what to avoid while creating a resume. Go through the above-mentioned points and create a checklist.
Read Also –Is Abstract and Executive Summary the same?