A character reference letter can be crucial for someone who might be applying for a scholarship or a job. Apart from having the complete background information of the candidate, an effective character reference letter should also shed light on the different characteristics and attributes of the candidate. For those of you not familiar with writing a character reference letter, we have come up with many tips that can help you write the perfect character reference letter for someone else.
Here are some simple tips for perfectly upgrading your character reference letter skill.
- Create a strong relationship with the candidate: Firstly, it is essential to inform the reader about what kind of relationship you have with the candidate. Therefore, it is important to introduce this detail to the readers and how long you have known the candidate. This will help the reader to think about a contextual relationship between you and the candidate. Do not write “I have known him for many years”; instead, you can write that “I have had the pleasure of working with him for a couple of years.”
- Use appropriate format: A Character Reference Letters usually involves three parts. The first part is to focus on the introduction and inform the readers about the relationship you have with the candidate. The second part comprises of the brief of the person’s character, and the last part closes with a favourable point for your candidate and why should he be considered for the given position. Always stick to the essentials and try to keep it short and simple.
- Have a positive and realistic tone: Always remember that a character reference letter should imitate the candidate’s abilities, qualifications, goals, experiences, and accomplishments. An effective character reference letter leaves the reader with a positive impression of the candidate; therefore, make sure that you use positive adjectives for the character assassination of the candidate. It is also good to mention accomplishments such as benevolent contributions, military bondage, extra curriculum activities and interests, etc., to make the candidate look active and bright. You should also take the note not to over-praise the person in order to avoid any risk of sounding vague.
- Clearly mention your authority: Character reference letters are usually developed by ex-employers, managers, professors, supervisors, dean, principal, and therefore while writing the letter, it is necessary to mention your authority. This is also essential because an employer or a professor is the best sources to confirm the candidate’s skills, interest, and qualities and how they complete their responsibilities.
- Try to keep it crisp: Make sure to use simple and understandable words to make the letter simple and precise. Writing a character reference letter is not the same as writing an academic thesis. Therefore, be quick and crisp.
- Avoid Colloquialisms: Do not write in a casual format and try to use official language. Colloquialisms can adversely reflect on your candidate.
- Proofread and edit as required: Just like any other writing, character reference letters also need proofreading and editing before submitting them to anybody. Make sure that it is free from any spelling and grammar mistakes. It is a good idea if you share the draft of the letter with your candidate so that you can make sure that the details are accurate.
- Write in an appropriate tone: It is essential to write character reference letters in a formal tone by avoiding any colloquialisms. As it will be read by a respected professional, make sure to address their positions accordingly.
- Serve the purpose: You should know that character reference letters are often required for admissions, job applications, court cases, or citizenship. Ensure that you are writing pertinent details on the letter so that it serves the primary purpose of the candidate.
A character reference letter is important for many to get a quality job or scholarship or even residency in another country. Being a reference, you have the power to highlight the qualities and skills of the candidate to make a positive impression on the reader. We hope the above-mentioned tips will help you in creating an effective character reference letter.
Social Post: Confused about writing a proper character reference letter? Take help from our latest article to know simple tips.
Social Post: Learn from our latest post about the “Simple tips for writing a character reference letter.”